The sticker price for the fair can be overwhelming, especially if you are paying for five people like me, but there are some tricks you can use to still thoroughly enjoy the fair on a budget.
- Go Early - did you know they do not start charging admission to the fair 11 a.m. on opening weekend, 1 p.m. during the week, and 9 a.m. on the closing Saturday. If you are a repeat offender of the fair, I suggest buying a week pass.
- Catch the Free Entertainment - The best thing about the SEMO District Fair is the diversity of what they offer - there is no place else you can tractors, monkeys, and karaoke in the same place. Many of the events are free and will add some flavor to your fair experience.
- Eat before you go - Fair food is absolutely delicious, but really pricey and full of empty calories. Feed your family at home or local restaurant to cut the cost - but be reasonable and understand you going to have splurge at least one fair food - funnel cake, fried oreos, turkey legs - something!
- Wristbands for the Carnival Rides - there are several deals on wristbands - this year Tuesday is buy one get one free, but you have to purchase it at a special time. Friday is $10 a band from noon to 4 p.m. and they have changed that this year to make it all rides!
- Splurge for the Bleacher Seats for Grandstand Entertainment - yes bleachers are cool and a bit cheaper - we always call it a view from the cheap-seats!
- Set a budget and have fun - take only the money you need, so that you do not go over your limit!